The Russell Building was built in 1905 at 121 - 123 West Church Street. On Tuesday November 12, 1915 Mr. and Mrs. Charles Russell opened the Belvoir Theater. The theater was built for stage shows as well as films with the opening show being…

Designed in 1913 by Chicago architect Lewis E. Russell, the Art stands as Downtown’s longest continuing theater. The owner of the building was B.F. Cooper who choose many of the details based on this tours of leading playhouses in Chicago. Local…

There is perhaps no one department store more synonymous with Downtown Champaign than F.K. Robeson’s. Frank Kurn Robeson started his department store business in 1874 in the building currently known as the Metropolitan Building at 223 North Neil…

The Masonic Temple was dedicated on January 9, 1914 by Henry T. Burnap, Most Worshipful Grand Master. This grand space was described in the following text taken from the dedication program in 1914: “This building is 79 X 109 feet, having the…

In 1850 the First Presbyterian Church Organized in a wood frame structure built at Hill and State, unbeknownst to congregation, they would become the longest organized church in Champaign. Shortly after they began to outgrow their building, the small…

Built in 1906 the present church represents the third Methodist Church to occupy the site at Church and State Streets. The Methodist congregation was organized shortly after the Illinois Central Depot was complete in 1854. After locating in several…

Originally laid out as a public square and potential site for a new County Courthouse, West Side Park, formally known as White Park was named for John P. White who donated the land the park now sits on. At the time of its construction the City of…

For over 80 years the Virginia Theater has served and queen of downstate theaters. This 1,800 seat movie palace, designed by C. Howard Crane and Kenneth Franzheim, opened on December 28, 1921. The building combines Spanish and Italian Renaissance…

Constructed in 1909 the First National Bank Building represents one of the first steel-constructed buildings in Champaign. The Chicago firm Mundie and Jensen built the Second Renaissance Revival building to represent the strength of the financial…

Godfrey Willis immigrated from England in 1872 by way of Philadelphia, and together with Harry Scott opened G.C. Willis Department Store seen here on the right. Lasting over 84 years the building would eventually lose its historic appearance and…

Unfortunately not much is known about the origin of the Downtown Fountain. What is known is that this landmark shows up in photographs before the turn of the 20th century. The 1887 Sandborn fire insurance maps show a well at this location which leads…

The Flat Iron building was designed and constructed by S.P. Atkinson of the S.P. Atkinson Monument Building at 106 South Neil Street. Many of the features of the flat iron can be seen on the South Neil Street building. The Gazette building was…

Built in the Classical Revival style, this beautiful 800 seat theater was constructed by the famous architects Cornelius and George Rapp of Carbondale, IL. George was a graduate of the University of Illinois School of Architecture. in 1899. Their…

BUILDING HISTORY Designed by Spencer and Temple and built by the well-known English Brothers 1915, Champaign-Urbana's Inman Hotel was situated in the heart of downtown Champaign and was located directly next to the Illinois Traction Railway Station.…

BUILDING HISTORY Presently known as the Christie Clinic Building, this building was previously recognized as the Twin City and Loan Building and the Family Welfare Society of C-U in 1929. During this time, retail stores, offices, and businesses,…

BUILDING HISTORY The first Champaign Public Library was opened in 1876 and there have been six facilities up until the current location. The need for a new library came from budget cutbacks during construction of the most recent library in 1978.…

The Champaign County Poor Farm burial ground is the story of a forgotten and rediscovered cemetery and its history. Construction work in the 1970s unearthed a portion of the Champaign County Poor Farm burial ground, reawakening the existence of this…

THEB #1 juts out of the ground on North Neil Street in Champaign. The enormous sculpture rests on three geometric corners. Each of these points that touch the ground expand upwards into geometric rectangular shapes. Square metal bars that trace the…

The circles of the sculpture swirl around one another; some are briefly linked, every so slightly touching, others entirely encompass another ripple. Artist Don Lawler from Stephensport, Kentucky, sees this sculpture as a “reflection on the…

The large metal gateway that surrounds a pathway on the corner of Washington and Neil Streets invites viewers to walk through and contemplate how the work interacts with its surroundings. Artist Scott Mental states, “The purpose behind this…

Cycles of Love appears a swirling romantic fantasy from the first moment one lays eyes on it. Located on the corner of University and Neil Streets, its grand movement is striking. There are two human figures inside the sculpture. There are circles…

The first library in Champaign started out as a private collection. In 1868, about 300 books and periodicals were assembled in a modest reading room on the second floor at No. 7 Main Street in Champaign. Forty members of the private Champaign Library…

Centennial Park is the second largest park in the Champaign Park District and has the widest variety of recreation to offer visitors. Centennial Park offers eight lighted tennis courts, one lighted baseball field and five unlighted baseball…

Along East Perkins Road just east of the Urbana Dog Park site is Judge Webber Park, a 24-acre site that is used by the park district and the East Central lllinois Archery Club. The park district was unable to fund development of the park site,…

Johnston park features one unlighted baseball field, a soccer field, and a playground with swings. There are also picnic areas, drinking fountains, and a walking path around the park.

Turnberry Ridge Park features a playground with swings, a half basketball court, picnic areas, a shelter, and a water fountain. This park also contains part of the Turnberry Ridge Trail (1 mile).

Currently Bian Park is an undeveloped park and contains one picnic table.

Mullikin Park offers picnic areas, a shelter, outdoor grills, drinking fountains, a half basketball court, a playground with swings, and wide open space. Champaign's newest trail, Pipeline Trail (1 mile), is due west of Mullikin park and runs…