Alma was unveiled in June 1929 and was originally placed directly behind Foellinger Auditorium. On August 22, 1962, the Alumni Association moved the sculpture to its present location in front of Altgeld Hall.

Since its dedication, Alma Mater has been a symbol of the University of Illinois. Affectionately referred to as ‘Alma’, she stands in front of her throne with open arms welcoming visitors, students, and alumni to the heart of campus. Although a…