The Georgian was built in a time in when the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was enduring a substantial enrollment increase. The purpose of The Georgian was to create a place where students could live close to campus, but not under campus…

BUILDING HISTORY The department of chemistry was the first to get its own building in 1877, and was completed shortly thereafter in 1878 with a budget of $20,000. The building was, “one of the best and largest on the continent” (Tilton, 16). …

BUILDING HISTORY The Agriculture Building, also known as The Old Agriculture building, was dedicated on May 21,1901. The original design by Joseph C. Llewellyn, an 1877 graduate of University of Illinois, was 94,900 square feet and cost $122,972 to…

BUILDING HISTORY The Chemistry Annex was built because the University needed more space for the Chemistry students, and only having Noyes Laboratory was no longer sufficient. The building is connected to Davenport Hall and has a underground tunnel…

BUILDING HISTORY Many don't know that ACES stands for Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences, as the library is often called the Funk Library. This is due to Isaac and Cassandra Funk's generous donation that went into the construction of…

BUILDING HISTORY Mumford House was built in 1871, making it the oldest surviving building on the campus of the University of Illinois, and served as a model farmhouse for the University's experimental farm. The first resident of this building was…

BUILDING HISTORY The College of Business Instructional Facility, commonly referred to as BIF, was a $60 million dollar project approved in July 2005, started in April 2006, and completed in time for Fall semester in Summer 2008. The building was…

This sculpture, Beautiful Storm, is exactly as it sounds. It reflects those afternoon storms when the electricity of the sky can be felt from through the windows. The rays of the sun are somehow illuminating the dark clouds that create rumblings…

The Architecture building, also known as "Architecture and Kindred Subjects," was designed in the Georgian Revival style by Charles A. Platt in 1926-1927. Platt, who also designed ten other buildings on campus including the University Library, David…

The foundation for the Library's architecture and art collections was laid by the country's first college graduate of architecture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign professor Nathan Clifford Ricker (1843-1924), who in 1873 purchased several…

In 1961, Ellnora and Herman Krannert donated one million dollars to the university for the construction of an art museum. Herman Krannert said of the donation: “I wanted to do something for the university…which the university could not do for…

The University of Illinois' Stock Judging Pavilion was built in 1913 in a Renaissance-style design for $112,000. At over 30,000 square feet, this building holds a show arena for livestock that is 216 feet long, 65 feet wide, and mostly made of…

In the early 1870s, sixty percent of the American population lived on small farms in rural areas. At the time, farmers were producing enough food to sustain their families, but with little excess to profit from. The College of Agriculture at the…

John Milton Gregory was elected the first Regent, which was akin to President, of the Illinois Industrial University by the first Board of Trustees. Gregory was an important figure in shaping the future of the University, now known as the University…

Albert E. Marion was designated as Chimesmaster in 1958 and held the title until 1994 when he was honored as Chimesmaster Emeritus. It was Marion's dream to have a full 49 bell, full octave bell tower in Altgeld Hall's bell tower ("Carillon Upgrade…

Altgeld Hall, originally known as the Library Building, is one of the oldest and most unique buildings on campus. Dedicated on June 8th, 1897, it was designed by Professor Nathan Ricker, the first person to receive a degree in architecture both from…

The English Building, originally known as the Women's Building, was dedicated on October 16th, 1905, and served as a women's dormitory until 1937. It also housed a pool and locker rooms on its lower level, and a 92' x 50' gymnasium on the second…

In February 1919, a special committee was appointed by the University War Committee to “undertake a preliminary consideration of a permanent memorial at the University of Illinois” to commemorate the University’s involvement in World War I, as…

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, a group of pranksters calling themselves the Statue Liberation Society kept busy by 'borrowing' various statues around the University of Illinois campus. In 1979 the Lincoln bust that sits in the main entryway…

Though it may be hard to believe, squirrels weren't always as prevalent on campus as they are today. In fact, in 1901, squirrels were in such scarcity that the university payed $250, which is about $6500 today, to buy squirrels to domesticate and…

Unfortunately, not much is known about this piece. If you have any information, please contact the ExploreCU team!

The Hallene Gateway was originally the entrance to University Hall, which was also known as New Main Hall or the New University Building. Built in 1872, University Hall was the the fourth building on campus, after the Mechanical Building and Drill…

Artist: Barry Tinsley Type: Four-piece grouping of cut stone Location: South-east of the Medical Sciences Building This piece was acquired through the 1/2% for the Arts' Art-in-Architecture initiative.