BUILDING HISTORY In June of 1893, the University Board of Trustees asked the General Assembly of Illinois to appropriate $160,000 in funds in order to erect a building for the College of Engineering. An act was passed on the 6th of June to…

BUILDING HISTORY Many don't know that ACES stands for Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences, as the library is often called the Funk Library. This is due to Isaac and Cassandra Funk's generous donation that went into the construction of…

When the University of Illinois opened it's doors in March of 1868, athletics had no part of student life or culture. Baseball teams were soon organized, and in the 1870s rugby gained popularity, but it wasn't until 1876 that the first football game…

The foundation for the Library's architecture and art collections was laid by the country's first college graduate of architecture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign professor Nathan Clifford Ricker (1843-1924), who in 1873 purchased several…

The University of Illinois' Stock Judging Pavilion was built in 1913 in a Renaissance-style design for $112,000. At over 30,000 square feet, this building holds a show arena for livestock that is 216 feet long, 65 feet wide, and mostly made of…

In the early 1870s, sixty percent of the American population lived on small farms in rural areas. At the time, farmers were producing enough food to sustain their families, but with little excess to profit from. The College of Agriculture at the…

John Milton Gregory was elected the first Regent, which was akin to President, of the Illinois Industrial University by the first Board of Trustees. Gregory was an important figure in shaping the future of the University, now known as the University…

Established in 1876, the Morrow Plots, also called the Soil Experimentation Fields, are the oldest agricultural research fields in the United States and second oldest in the world, predated only by the Rothamsted Field in England in 1843. Named for…

Albert E. Marion was designated as Chimesmaster in 1958 and held the title until 1994 when he was honored as Chimesmaster Emeritus. It was Marion's dream to have a full 49 bell, full octave bell tower in Altgeld Hall's bell tower ("Carillon Upgrade…

Altgeld Hall, originally known as the Library Building, is one of the oldest and most unique buildings on campus. Dedicated on June 8th, 1897, it was designed by Professor Nathan Ricker, the first person to receive a degree in architecture both from…

The English Building, originally known as the Women's Building, was dedicated on October 16th, 1905, and served as a women's dormitory until 1937. It also housed a pool and locker rooms on its lower level, and a 92' x 50' gymnasium on the second…

In October 1894 it was increasingly apparent that the University needed to adopt official colors, as the colors that the University was using to decorate and the colors that the athletic teams were using were not the same. With the dedication of the…

In February 1919, a special committee was appointed by the University War Committee to “undertake a preliminary consideration of a permanent memorial at the University of Illinois” to commemorate the University’s involvement in World War I, as…

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, a group of pranksters calling themselves the Statue Liberation Society kept busy by 'borrowing' various statues around the University of Illinois campus. In 1979 the Lincoln bust that sits in the main entryway…