This stone figure represents a composite Brahmin god, Hari-Hara, and is a copy of a seventh-century stone statue in the Museacute Albert Sarraut in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Robert Allerton had the copy made from a plaster cast he purchased at the…

Hidden almost from sight southeast of the Gatehouse is this unpretentious little stone shepherdess and her dog, which Allerton had Lew Wagy, a Monticello gravestone carver, adapt from an eight-inch-high German porcelain figurine in the house. The…

Allerton bought a pair like this one early in his residency at the Monticello estate, but because of vandalism the figure of the shepherd recently had to be replaced. He no longer holds a long shepherd's crook as he did in the original. The…

Allerton had two limestone copies of Pilon's Three Graces made. One adorns the east wall of the Peony Garden, on the path west of the Visitors' Center; the other is at the Lake Geneva, lllinois, grave of his aunt, Mrs. Lester McCrae. In Greek…

Two pairs of stone lions look down from pillars at either end of a long gravel pathway near the greenhouse, one pair made before 1922 in Chicago from originals Allerton owned, the other in Indiana in 1976. John Allerton's recollection was that the…

High up on four-sided pillars, framed by trees at the Allerton Road entrance to the park, are these badly weather-damaged concrete statues representing the mythological Greek goddess of the hunt, Diana (right), and her chaste, athletic young male…