BUILDING HISTORY The Illini Union was originally started from the rent of the first floor of the YMCA. The expansion plan was started when the University bought the building in 1938. It was built in 1939 and dedicated by First Lady Eleanor…

There would never be another Homecoming game like it. On the 80-degree afternoon of Oct. 18, 1924, some 67,000 raucous fans, jammed into a newly dedicated Memorial Stadium, waited in suspense for the start of the contest against a powerhouse Michigan…

Dr. Thomas Gallaudet founded the first free school for the deaf in the United States, the American School for the Deaf, in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1817. He is shown in this naturalistic sculptural portrait with Alice Cogswell, the child who sparked…