In 1985, with the idea of using private resources to contribute to new large-scale science projects, which resulted in two committees, Arnold O. Beckman and his wife Mabel made the largest donation given to the University of Illinois. The Illinois legislature appropriated $10 million toward the costs of the project during its fall 1985 session. In addition, the university and the state of Illinois pledged to support the continued operations and maintenance of the Institute. The great amount of donation was a gift that led to the construction of the institute, which opened in 1989 as one of the first research centers in the world dedicated to interdisciplinary research.
The building was designed keeping the primary purpose of research in mind. Beckman Institute provides access to state of the art technology, encouraging young scientists and engineers from various disciplines to explore new horizons and expand their knowledge.
BUILDING TYPE + PROGRAM
Beckman Institute is designed for the purpose of being a multi-disciplinary research institute. However it also contains many necessities of a modern research institute. The building program includes labs, seminar halls, lobbies, communications office, Information Technology Services (ITS), and a Café along with Catering Services.
SMITH GROUP JJP:
Smith Group was established in Detroit in 1853 by architect Sheldon Smith. Along with Luckett and Farley, it is the longest continually operating architecture and engineering firm in the United States. In 2011, the firm incorporated its sister firm, JJR, into its current name.
The firm’s design philosophy is about sustainability. With the green design as its topic, there is a variety of sustainable features that Smith Group would involve-high-performance building envelope, energy modeling, daylight analysis and natural ventilation—to most of their other projects.
• Award of Merit- Interior Design-Virginia Society American Institute of Architects
• Interiors Award-American Institute of Architects-Potomac Valley Chapter
• Distinction Award- Project in Progress-Design Build Institute of America-Western Pacific region
• Citation of Merit- Interior Architecture- AIA- Chicago Chapter
• Best of Michigan Construction Award- Construction Association of Michigan Magazine
• Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Center for Advanced Care, Chicago, IL
• U.S. Department of Energy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Colorado
• Chandler City Hall, Arizona
• Campus Master Planning and Design, Ann Arbor, Michigan
• National Museum of the American Indian, Washington, DC