First Presbyterian Church

Constructed in 1869, the First Presbyterian Church was built in the Gothic Revival style.

In 1850 the First Presbyterian Church Organized in a wood frame structure built at Hill and State, unbeknownst to congregation, they would become the longest organized church in Champaign. Shortly after they began to outgrow their building, the small wood frame structure was moved nearby and the present church built in 1869 for $35,000 by 137 parishioners. Between 1881 and 1900 the towers were completed and a bell placed atop the northern tower. This bell still chimes every Sunday morning to mark the start of services.

The church features a few unique features including the “upper room” sanctuary which places the large sanctuary not on the ground level but on the second floor of the structure.

Images

First Presbyterian Church, Champaign

First Presbyterian Church, Champaign

Taken from a vantage point on the northeast corner of the intersection of State Street and Hill Street, looking southwest. | Source: Champaign County Historical Archives at The Urbana Free Library, Urbana, Illinois View File Details Page

First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church

View: Facing Northwest at the intersection of Church and State St. | Source: Wikimedia Commons | Creator: Dori View File Details Page

Interior of the First Presbyterian Church

Interior of the First Presbyterian Church

Source: The First Presbyterian Church View File Details Page

The First Presbyterian Church from the northwest corner of Church and State Streets

The First Presbyterian Church from the northwest corner of Church and State Streets

The sign reads "on this site the First Presbyterian Church will erect its new educational building." | Source: Champaign County Historical Archives View File Details Page

Worshipers leaving the First Presbyterian Church

Worshipers leaving the First Presbyterian Church

Source: Champaign County Historical Archives View File Details Page

Facade of the First Presbyterian Church

Facade of the First Presbyterian Church

Source: Champaign County Historical Archives View File Details Page

Street Address:

307 North State Street [map]

Cite this Page:

T.J. Blakeman, “First Presbyterian Church,” ExploreCU, accessed May 23, 2017, http://explorecu.org/items/show/368.

Subjects

comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story