Dedicated October 8, 1998, on the 63rd annual meeting of University of Illinois Foundation, the Hallene Gateway Plaza features the original sandstone portal of the New Main University Hall (the 4th building built on the UIUC campus, in 1871, where the Union presently stands). When New Main was razed in 1938, its portal was saved and placed behind the Architecture building. Though the years the portal was slowly forgotten and eventually was moved out to Allerton Park for storage. In 1994 it was rediscovered near maintenance sheds among "brush, raspberry brushes and small trees" and a backhoe had to be called in to help unearth it. The Hallene family donated the money to restore the portal and landscape a plaza in which to display the portal.