Shepherd and Shepherdess

These 19th century sculptures are copies of 18th Century English prototypes. The two lead figures each stand 49" high at Allerton Park. Robert Allerton gifted the pieces of art to the University in 1946.

Allerton bought a pair like this one early in his residency at the Monticello estate, but because of vandalism the figure of the shepherd recently had to be replaced. He no longer holds a long shepherd's crook as he did in the original. The shepherdess carries fruit in her apron and offers an apple or peach in her extended left hand.

Similar rustic types are fairly common in English landscape decoration and even a cursory examination of books on ornamental garden statuary will turn up examples. Most are replicas of eighteenth-century statues by John Cheere. Many variations to the basic models exist, with figures holding tools, weapons, musical instruments, or even a small lamb. John Allerton was of the opinion that the first park versions dated from the early nineteenth century. They are virtually indistinguishable from two at Tyninghame, Haddingtonshire, England. Still, since so many copies are known and are in fact still manufactured, here and in England, no definitive date can be assigned.

Images

Map

515 Old Timber Rd, Monticello, IL 61856 ~ Both the Shepherd and the Shepherdess are currently in the Conservation Barn, but are normally viewable in front of the House-in-the-Woods. It is unknown when they will return to the public grounds.