Hallene Gateway, 1871

The Hallene Gateway was originally built in 1871. It was installed at its current location in 1998 at Illinois Street and Lincoln Avenue in Urbana.

The Hallene Gateway was originally the entrance to University Hall, which was also known as New Main Hall or the New University Building. Built in 1872, University Hall was the the fourth building on campus, after the Mechanical Building and Drill Hall, and was destroyed in 1938 after a classroom ceiling collapsed (Leetaru 2004-2011). The portal entrance was saved and kept behind the Architecture building for a number of years before eventually moving to Robert Allerton Park (Public Affairs 2013).

The gateway was rediscovered in 1994 near the maintenence shed at Allerton, buried amongst "raspberry thickets and trees" (Garner, n.d.). After a lengthy excavation process, the portal entrance needed a great deal of repair. Through generous donations from Alan M. and Phyllis Welsh Hallene, graduates of the class of 1951, the Hallene Gateway Plaza was created and the arch, newly restored, found a permanent display home on the University campus. The Plaza was dedicated October 8th, 1998 on the 63rd annual meeting of University of Illinois Foundation (Leetaru 2004-2011).

Images

Hallene Gateway

Hallene Gateway

The Hallene Gateway as it stands today near the Alumni Building in the Hallene Gateway Plaza. Image courtesy ExploreCU team View File Details Page

Hallene Gateway in Autumn

Hallene Gateway in Autumn

Image of the Hallene Gateway and Plaza in the fall. Image Courtesy of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Public Affairs. Copyright University of Illinois Board of Trustees View File Details Page

Hallene Gateway in the distance

Hallene Gateway in the distance

Image Courtesy of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Public Affairs. Copyright University of Illinois Board of Trustees View File Details Page

Hallene Gateway with Alumni Center Fountain

Hallene Gateway with Alumni Center Fountain

Learning & Labor are still visibly etched in the Hallene Gateway, which once stood as the entryway to University Hall. Image Courtesy of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Public Affairs. Copyright University of Illinois Board of Trustees View File Details Page

Hallene Gateway during wintertime

Hallene Gateway during wintertime

Image Courtesy of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Public Affairs. Copyright University of Illinois Board of Trustees View File Details Page

University Hall with Hallene Gateway, 1910

University Hall with Hallene Gateway, 1910

This colorized postcard circa 1910, shows how University Hall looked to those who frequented the campus. Dedicated in 1873 it served as the hub of the University until it was razed in 1938 Image courtesy University of Illinois Archives View File Details Page

Hallene Gateway in its original location, date unknown

Hallene Gateway in its original location, date unknown

When a classroom ceiling collapsed in 1938 the New University Building (University Hall) had to be razed, however several artifacts from the building were preserved - including the entryway. Image courtesy University of Illinois Archives View File Details Page

Campus Map from 1892

Campus Map from 1892

This map shows the Chemistry Laboratory (now Noyes Laboratory) and the Natural Science Hall (Natural History Building) along with the placement of New University Hall where the Hallene Gateway welcomed students. The University Hall was located much further south than the current location of the Illini Union, which is currently located directly east of the Natural History Building. View File Details Page

Audio

David Garner speaking about excavating the Hallene Gateway

Audio courtesy the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign View File Details Page

Street Address:

Illinois Street and Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801 [map]

Cite this Page:

Kara Brehm, “Hallene Gateway, 1871,” ExploreCU, accessed July 27, 2017, http://explorecu.org/items/show/80.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story