Many film enthusiasts are familiar with the work of award winning director Ang Lee, but many may not know that Lee studied at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in the early stages of his career. The Taiwanese born director graduated with a…

“When we began, Ronald Reagan was in office, materialism was rampant, and insect movies were terrible; today, there's a democratic president in Washington, environmental awareness and volunteerism are more fashionable, and insect movies are…

In the summer of 2011, local artist Bea Nettles began to photograph the last names on headstones that could be used as parts of speech. She went out early in the mornings and spent peaceful hours walking the rows of stones with only the birds for…

BUILDING HISTORY: The origins of this building, formerly known as the First Christian Church in Urbana, date back to 1892 when the original First Christian Church was built and dedicated right across the street. In 1908 however, it became apparent…

BUILDING HISTORY Designed by Spencer and Temple and built by the well-known English Brothers 1915, Champaign-Urbana's Inman Hotel was situated in the heart of downtown Champaign and was located directly next to the Illinois Traction Railway…

BUILDING HISTORY Presently known as the Christie Clinic Building, this building was previously recognized as the Twin City and Loan Building and the Family Welfare Society of C-U in 1929. During this time, retail stores, offices, and businesses,…

BUILDING HISTORY The Illinois Traction Station, also known as the Illinois Traction Building, was originally the headquarters of the rail system. The construction was proposed in November 1911 by the Illinois Traction System; however it did not…

The Georgian was built in a time in when the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was enduring a substantial enrollment increase. The purpose of The Georgian was to create a place where students could live close to campus, but not under campus…

BUILDING HISTORY Royer completed this commercial building with Danely and Smith in 1926. Located on the southeast corner of Main and Race Streets in Urbana, this building was originally the Knowlton and Bennett drug store. Everett M. Knowlton moved…

BUILDING HISTORY Busey’s Hall, also known as The Princess Theater, was one of the first brick buildings in Urbana, Illinois. The building was originally built for two brothers, Samuel T. and Simeon Busey, yet the architect is unknown. It was built…

HISTORY Urbana High School's current building was built in 1914. It was designed by architect Joseph Royer who also designed many other area buildings such as the Urbana Free Library and the Champaign County Court House. The architecture is of…

BUILDING HISTORY This post office was designed by Oscar Wenderoth and was completed in 1914. It succeeded the North Race Street post office. This post office was in operation for 8 years and was designed by Joseph W. Royer. Now, the building is…

BUILDING HISTORY The Garvey House that exists now was actually a redesign of the Garvey House No.1, which was more complex. Since the first design was considered too wild by the house owner and hardly could come close to realization, Goff chose to…

BUILDING HISTORY Founded in 1874, the Urbana Free Library is the public library of the City of Urbana, and it is one of the oldest public libraries in the state. It began as a private association, Urbana Library Association and did not have its own…

BUILDING HISTORY Designed by the famous Nathan Clifford Ricker, this was the only residential house he ever designed throughout his career. Nathan Ricker made a name for himself by becoming the first licensed American architect and went on to…

BUILDING HISTORY Lincoln Hotel, now called The Urbana Landmark Hotel, was built to attract travelers to downtown Urbana. The hotel was intended to be the center of culture and entertainment in central Illinois. For the past 90 years, the hotel has…

BUILDING HISTORY The first Champaign Public Library was opened in 1876 and there have been six facilities up until the current location. The need for a new library came from budget cutbacks during construction of the most recent library in 1978.…

BUILDING HISTORY Built in the Greek Revival Style circa 1854, this Greek Revival Cottage is a 1987 Community Historic Restoration Project sponsored by the Preservation and Conservation Association. Champaign County also contributed time, labor,…

ARCHITECT: Julius A. Schweinfurth LOCATION: Champaign, IL COMPLETION:1896 BUILDING TYPE: Library BUILDING HISTORY Burnham Athenaeum was originally built to be the public library for Champaign, but it has been changed since 1896. The…

BUILDING HISTORY The building was designed by former University of Illinois architecture professor Jack Baker in 1964 for his wife Margaret Erlanger. His primary intentions were create an accommodating space for Margaret to dance in while also…

BUILDING HISTORY Originally, this house was the home of Don Carlos Taft who also built the residence. While his son, Lorado Taft, was growing up, Don Carlos Taft and his family resided in this house. Lorado Taft was a distinguished alumni of the…

BUILDING HISTORY The department of chemistry was the first to get its own building in 1877, and was completed shortly thereafter in 1878 with a budget of $20,000. The building was, “one of the best and largest on the continent” (Tilton, 16). This…

BUILDING HISTORY The English Building was built originally in 1905 by a firm called McKim, Mead and White with the project estimating around $80,000. Its original purpose was for a woman’s dormitory that housed a pool, chemical laboratory, practice…

BUILDING HISTORY The Agriculture Building, also known as The Old Agriculture building, was dedicated on May 21,1901. The original design by Joseph C. Llewellyn, an 1877 graduate of University of Illinois, was 94,900 square feet and cost $122,972…

BUILDING HISTORY The Chemistry Annex was built because the University needed more space for the Chemistry students, and only having Noyes Laboratory was no longer sufficient. The building is connected to Davenport Hall and has a underground tunnel…