Hari-Hara, 1934

This stone figure represents a composite Brahmin god, Hari-Hara, and is a copy of a seventh-century stone statue in the Museacute Albert Sarraut in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Robert Allerton had the copy made from a plaster cast he purchased at the…

Siamese Buddhas, ca. 1930-1931

Amazingly, these two slim, delicate images of Buddha were fashioned from single logs of teakwood. Students of the Royal School in Bangkok, Thailand, made them from prototypes Allerton selected in nearby wats (Buddhist monasteries or temples), waiting…

Fu Dogs, 19th and 20th Centuries

Mythological lion-dogs such as these are ubiquitous in Asian art, found in cemeteries, temples, shops, and domiciles and utilized traditionally as Buddhist guardian effigies to ward off demon spirits. Fabricated of materials such as stone, wood,…

Japanese Guardian Fish

On pylons in the Sunken Garden, looking very much like glittering sea creatures diving into a vast subterranean world, surfaces modeled in wonderful deep and shallow designs, teeth huge and fearsome, are sixteen guardian fish, reduced-scale versions…

"Chinese" Musicians

Visitors usually call these stone figures "Chinese" musicians, but a closer look shows that their features are Western. The present sculptures are not those Allerton bought in England early in the century. Initially he obtained ten statues cut in…

The Little Shepherdess and Her Dog, 1940

Hidden almost from sight southeast of the Gatehouse is this unpretentious little stone shepherdess and her dog, which Allerton had Lew Wagy, a Monticello gravestone carver, adapt from an eight-inch-high German porcelain figurine in the house. The…

Shepherd and Shepherdess

Allerton bought a pair like this one early in his residency at the Monticello estate, but because of vandalism the figure of the shepherd recently had to be replaced. He no longer holds a long shepherd's crook as he did in the original. The…

Adam

Inspired by Dante's Inferno, Rodin conceived his original Adam and Eve as figures to flank The Gates of Hell, a huge bronze portal commissioned for the Museum of Decorative Arts, Paris, that included 186 high-relief and freestanding dynamic figures.…

Venus

Probably dating from the late nineteenth century, the park Venus is a close copy of Canova's famous Venus Italica in the Pitti Palace, Florence. Allerton bought the copy from a European dealer and had it placed in a small latticed pavilion in the…

Lions, before 1922, and 1976

Two pairs of stone lions look down from pillars at either end of a long gravel pathway near the greenhouse, one pair made before 1922 in Chicago from originals Allerton owned, the other in Indiana in 1976. John Allerton's recollection was that the…

Girl with a Scarf, 1941

Allerton bought Lili Auer's Girl with a Scarf at the Chicago Art Institute's annual Exhibition of American Painting and Sculpture, 1941-42, and had a special place prepared for it in the center of the Brick Garden. It was the last piece he acquired…

Sea Maidens, 1930

The placement of Kuöhl's darkly patinated bronze figures at either side of a gravel pathway leading to the Brick Garden nicely relates them to the meditative Girl with a Scarf just beyond. In Art Deco style, they are mounted frontally on John…

Marble Faun, before 1922

Based on a Roman original in the Naples Museum, this little garden statue is located near a path leading from the parking lot to Allerton House. The sharply pointed ears, animal skin about its neck, wine sack resting on the knee, and distinctly…

Terminal Busts, before 1900

Two odd marble statues-partially draped, truncated, demure armless female nudes on decorated, tapered shafts stand against the back terrace brick walls of Allerton House. Renaissance-type figures such as these are sometimes adapted by architects for…

Charioteers, 1924

Two erect stone figures, copies of a bronze Charioteer of Delphi made for the Art Institute of Chicago from the Greek original, stand on pillars at a park entrance. Each of the statues had just one arm at first, as does the ancient prototype, which…