Unfortunately not much is known about the origin of the Downtown Fountain. What is known is that this landmark shows up in photographs before the turn of the 20th century. The 1887 Sandborn fire insurance maps show a well at this location which leads many to believe that this fountain served as a general water source. This could have also been used as a place for horses to grab a quick drink of water.
By 1950 the fountain had been moved to Scott Park from this original location but was returned in 1993. Today, the One Main Plaza helps provide a community gathering place with the Fountain as its center piece