Masonic Temple

Built in the Beaux-Arts style, the Masonic Temple was constructed in 1914.

The Masonic Temple was dedicated on January 9, 1914 by Henry T. Burnap, Most Worshipful Grand Master. This grand space was described in the following text taken from the dedication program in 1914:

“This building is 79 X 109 feet, having the main entrance or front to the south. The entire building is devoted to Masonic and club features as noted on the plans. The first two floors together with all the corridors and stairs are in fire proof construction. The exterior is in Carthage, Mo. stone, Matt face brick and Terra Cotta. All corridor floors, wainscottings and stair treads are in marble terrazzo. The Building cost including furniture about $100,000, the site $15,800.”

The building architectural work was completed by Spencer and Temple of Champaign and the exterior design was completed by Charles Clakely Spencer. The highlight of the building is its grand ceremony room which remains today.

The Mason’s left this building in 1970 as the building was renamed the Jefferson Building and housed the Thomas Jefferson Life Insurance Company. The lodge moved to the IOOF Hall at 109 N. Neil before their eventual move to their new home off Windsor Road.



202 West Hill Street